PONT SUSPENDU

Patrimoine culturel

VILLEMUR-SUR-TARN

Jean Brusson, called Jeantet, became contractor of public works in 1830.

Jean Brusson, known as Jeantet, became a public works contractor in 1830. Jeantet was the grandfather of Jean-Marie Elie Brusson, who founded the Brusson jeune manufacturing company in 1871, making “pasta from Italy”.
The first version of the pot, subject to a toll, did not meet with unanimous approval. When the Third Republic was proclaimed, a group of young insurgents from Villemur and Bondigoux cut the cables, destroying the bridge and toll booth.
In 1924, the third version of the Villemur bridge, completely remodelled, was inaugurated. Only the base of the pier, still visible at low water, survived the terrible flood of 1930. Ferries replaced the destroyed structure until 1932. The current suspension bridge was destined for Czechoslovakia, but was rushed to Villemur. It was repaired in 2017 following a weakness in its structure.

découvrez ces autres sites

Suivez-nous